Friday, January 25, 2008

Lake Nkaruba






Hmm, I'm trying a new thing in blogger to link to pictures directly on my website and it doesn't seem to like me. (I give up. I loaded them on, but some of the pictures can be found on my website)

Anyways, there are four pictures here. Lake Nkaruba is one of a series of over 80 crater lakes around Kibale. What makes Lake Nkaruba very nice is that the it is owned by the Catholic church which in turn leases it to a group that promotes eco-tourism. It is a semi-pristine lake with minimal deforestation and agriculture around it. Other crater lakes in the area are heavily deforested and have become eutrophied, causing a detrimental change in the lakes ecosystem.

There, we learned about paleolimnology. A core of the sediment at the bottom of the lake is taken and then analyzed. Looking for certain things, the history of the lake and region can be determined using indicators such as pollen, detritus, leaves and aquatic insects - very cool stuff.

Lake Nkaruba is also an open source of waster for many of the locals. While we were collecting data, a group of locals came down to the waters edge to collect water (last picture)

No comments: