Thursday, February 7, 2008

Ol Donya Lengai, Pascale, and MS-TCDC






Because of the political violence in Kenya, we flew to Tanzania from Uganda. I'm not normally a window seat person, but not only did I get a window seat, I ended up on the proper side to see Ol Donya Lengai which means 'Mountain of God' in Maa, the language of the Maasai. We did experience turbulence which we assumed was associated with passing relatively close to the volcano. While that was very cool, we were in for a treat later that month when we got to pass right by the volcano.

Psacale was a tortoise (can't remember the species name offhand) at our campsite outside of Arusha. At least, I think that's what we named her (it). She tended to hang out near the fences where there were plants, and while we tried to give her some vegetables and stuff, she didn't seem to like the food we gave her.

MS-TCDC or MS Training Centre for Development Cooperation was part school/part research centre. We went there for some lectures, the most interesting and entertaining (IMHO) of which was the political history of Tanzania. We had some nice lunch breaks, and we were allowed to wander the premises which had a wonderful array of birds, primates, and reptiles. I saw my first blue monkey (primatology saw them in Kibale I think), and when I was trying to figure out the name of the primate, I didn't believe there was such a monkey as the blue monkey. Turns out there is. I also saw some violet backed starlings, and a Nile monitor.

No comments: